The anniversary release will include a bonus DVD featuring a range of video clips presented by Jon Lord.
This is a provisional tracklist for the DVD:
1. Hush (Playboy After Dark, 1968)
2. Speed King (Vicky Leandros show, German TV, 1970)
3. Child In Time (new clip)
4. Black Night (1970 video clip)
5. Fireball (German TV, Disco ZDF, 1971)
6. Strange Kind Of Woman (Top Of The Pops, BBC, 1971)
7. Demon’s Eye (Music Today, RBB Berlin)
8. Highway Star (Beat Club, German TV, 1971)
9. Never Before (1970s video clip)
10. Smoke On The Water (Hofstra University, 1973)
11. Woman From Tokyo (new clip)
12. Made in Japan / Space Truckin’ (new clip from Made in Japan footage)
13. Burn (London 1974)
14. Stormbringer (new clip)
15. You Keep On Movin’ (new clip)
Each clip will be presented by Jon Lord discussing the song’s development, in a similar vein to the outtakes presented below.
Items marked as a “new clip” are newly developed videos using archival documentary material from the period – some of it previously unseen.
As an example of the new clips, The Highway Star reports that Child in Time is based around the studio album soundtrack with bits of Doing Their Thing footage synchronized to it in appropriate places. The rest of the video shows period footage conveying the sense of uneasiness and apprehension of growing up in the shadow of Mutually Assured Destruction, which is the theme of the song’s lyrics.
Click on the small image to the right to see stills from the Child in Time video.
Several bits and pieces had to be left out for various reasons, but you can watch them here:
Hallelujah with Jon Lord describing what happened at the time that Ian Gillan & Roger Glover joined the band:
In Rock and the evolution of Deep Purple sound towards heavier music (featuring excerpt of Mandrake Root from the Southbank Summer show):
Made In Japan being put into historical prospective (featuring Highway Star footage, whilst the DVD will feature Space Truckin’ instead):
Thanks to The Highway Star.